Wednesday, October 17, 2007

You remember what they used to say about E F Hutton?

Well, I've commented a couple of times here about how when I ask a question, I should know I might get an answer.

You see, Someone is always listening. Listening to me; listening to you! And is always ready to answer.

So ...

When I asked a few questions about trust, fear and trusting Him -- He decided to get involved in answering those questions. I should have known He would.

He's done it so many times before. And this time the questions involved Him. Why wouldn't He be interested in the answers I came up with?

So, He led me to five weeks of Laity Classes at one of the "local" Seminaries (about an hour and a quarter drive away). Both classes taught me so much and tackled the questions that were on my mind; even though the titles of the classes didn't seem like they were directly related to the questions.

One class was a historical look at the title "Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews" that Pilate had sarcastically ordered nailed to the top of the cross where Jesus was crucified. What did that title mean to the "players" of the story?

Doesn't sound like that would really tackle the issue of trusting God, does it?

The other class was about "Are We Following Jesus?" and I expected it to be about the social gospel, social-side of gospel, and living "missionally." And we covered a wide variety of topics from war, to materialism, to evolution, to evangelism versus proselytizing and more. Again, I did not expect my questions to be answered here.

I've been struggling with the "definition" of Christian that is the popular one and the "proper" one.

The popular one, the one in the culture outside the right-wing evangelical church, is the one that says "hate-mongering, homo-phobe, holier-than-thou, hypocrite who condemns everyone who doesn't agree with them." The proper one, the one inside the right-wing evangelical church, is the one that says "saved by grace alone, but you better behave and vote this certain way or you'll go to hell, even if you have said the 'Father forgive me, I accept Jesus' prayer."

Neither one of the seems to be true. And I've formulated opinions about what I think it means to be a Christian, what it means to be "saved," and what I believe it takes to be "saved." But, I've been formulating these ideas sort of on my own, sort of in the dark -- as a reaction against those things I do not agree with. But not sure if I am on the right track or not.

I've had a general sense of what it means.

In these two classes, I discovered more than a sense but the words that describe these things I've been feeling and thinking. And I am so happy that my "threat" won't have to be carried out! Oh yes, a threat!

One day a few years ago, I discovered that I was so distressed by the legalism and negative nature of so much that is called "Christian" that I prayed to God, "If 'They' are right, I don't want to continue as a 'Christian!' I'd rather go be a Buddhist."

In the intervening time, I was pretty sure that I was not going to go become a Buddhist. For one thing, I saw a Bill Moyers interview with a woman who is a Buddhist nun (I'm sorry, I've forgotten her name); I was surprised at the self-centered nature of Buddhism. But I was also fairly certain that Christianity was not those things that distressed me so much.

Defining what something is not does not always define what it is, though.

I've tried to put it into words. I've come pretty close to getting the thoughts down clearly and concisely and succinctly. And I felt I was finally figuring out what it really is about. But there was still this hesitation.

Why?

Was it just procrastination?


Was it the devil trying to waylay me along the road to keep me from articulating it?

Was there something missing from the puzzle picture?

Why couldn't I seem to get the words right, to be clear? Maybe it was because it still wasn't clear to me.

But now --

WOW!

"It" is so amazing, so astonishing, so astounding, remarkable, wonderful, mind-boggling, mind-blowing, wonderful, marvelous and miraculous -- that even Roget's can't help me gush enough!

It is ALL about the extravagant, radical nature of God. It is all about the all-encompassing love of God. It is all about the fact that "God was meeting us in some profound passion in our greatest need" (from my class notes).

It's ALL about Him. It is not about us.

"It" is trusting and resting in His grace and mercy. That is all that we must do. Trust Him.

Need I say more?

1 comment:

Kay Day said...

amen.
I always just think "Christ Follower" Which, of course we can only do by His grace.